Matthew Cottrell specialises in personal injury, insurance and counter-fraud litigation in relation to road traffic accidents, employer’s, public and occupier’s liability claims. He has 18 years experience at the bar.
His injury practice ranges up to injuries of the utmost severity including loss of limb claims, brain injury claims and death. He acts for both Claimants and Defendant insurers. He has appeared in the High Court and Divisional Court.
Acting for the Claimant:
- 37 year old female who suffered a brachial plexus injury in a cycling accident: settled for £630,000.
- Young male who suffered a serious foot injury in a scooter accident: settled at JSM for £520,000;
- Young male who suffered serious foot injury, settled for £190,000;
- Young male with a subtle brain injury but history of behavioural problems and low academic performance: settled at JSM for £175,000.
Acting for the Defendant:
- Dismissal of male pedestrian’s claim for £150,000 damages allegedly caused by comminuted open fractures to the leg, having been struck by a motorist
- Representing the insurer of a Part 20 Defendant father in a fatal accident involving the death of his child whilst he was driving
- Road traffic accident claim in which the court, without a pleading of fraud, made a finding of dishonesty against the Claimant resulting in the court referring the matter to the Chief Constable of Merseyside Police to consider prosecution
He represents a number of nationwide insurers defending fraudulent road traffic collision claims including:
- Exaggerated injury claims
- Fraud rings
- Application fraud
- Contrived, induced and staged accidents
- Low Velocity and Late Notification claims
He regularly presents in house seminars to solicitors and is content to accept work on a conditional fee basis. Papers are usually turned round within 12 hours to 7 days.