Legal 500 , have stated that Richard is "Forceful, knowledgeable and well-respected". "Very experienced in commercial and contractual disputes" and "known for his broad civil litigation practice." "Extremely approachable, accessible and well prepared" - "Technically very able", with "his advice is thorough and he produces definitive solutions".
Richard has been regularly engaged in Personal Injury litigation since the commencement of his practice. He has throughout his practice been engaged in claims arising from industrial injuries and diseases. His personal injury practice includes road traffic and personal injury fraud work. He has extensive experience in travel law particularly with regards to accidents and illness whilst abroad
BUILDING AND CONSTRUCTION
Richard is a regular advocate in the Technology & Construction List both in relation to substantive trials of Building and Construction disputes and issues relating to the enforcement of Adjudication Awards. He has considerable experience in Arbitrations arising out of Building disputes and is regularly engaged to appear in the same.
Richard is highly experienced in all aspects of civil litigation frequently dealing with a wide range of contractual and commercial disputes.
After joining Oriel Chambers in 1980 Richard built up a large employment practice. For approximately 12 years Richard was effectively standing counsel to the Littlewoods Organisation on employment matters appearing for Littlewoods in over 100 Tribunal cases up and down the country. Richard is now regularly engaged by local authorities in relation to all aspects of employment law. He has an extensive Employment Appeal Tribunal practice as apparent from a large number of significant cases in which he has appeared in the EAT.
Richard has been on the Attorney General’s list of prosecuting advocates and its predecessor lists in the fields of Environmental Law and Health and Safety Law for in excess of 20 years. In the past two years alone he has been engaged in successful prosecutions of water utilities resulting in fines exceeding £500,000.00 on seven occasions and a series of health and safety prosecutions involving fatal accidents. He recently prosecuted a major retailer in relation to offences were the fines imposed totalled £8 million.
Married with 3 grown up children Richard’s interests are soccer as a keen Liverpool supporter and an erstwhile member of the Chambers 6-a-side team, horse riding, theatre and cinema.
- Cunningham (trading as Urban Developments) v Buckley  EWCA Civ 224
- R v Inios Chlorvinyls Limited  All ER (D) 222
- Brown v Complete Building Solutions  EGLR 23
- Imtech Environ Limited v Loppingdale Plant Limited  All ER (D) 55
- Connell v Mutch  BLR 82
- Flintshire County Council v Moore & Lund  UKEAT/0379/11/DA
- Shaw v MFP Foundations & Pilings Ltd  1 EGLR 1 (Chancery Division);  EWHC 1839 (Technology & Construction Court)
- Miller v UPVC Designs Ltd  All ER (D) 229
- Kehr & Tucker v Astronomical  EWHL (TCC)
- Varma v North Cheshire Hospital NHS Trust  All ER (D) 2003;  All ER (D) 219;  All ER (D) 291
- United Utilities Water Plc v Moss Rose Piggeries Ltd  All ER (D) 338
- Royal Liverpool NHS Trust v Dunsby  IRLR 351
- Rosewood Trucking v Balaam  1 Lloyds Rep 429
- Forshaw v Archcract  IRLR 600
- Uphill v Colas  All ER (D) 216
- McGovern v Knowsley Metropolitan Borough Council  All ER (D) 124
- Forshaw v Forshaw Ltd  All ER (D) 116
- XXX v YYY  IRLR 137 (EAT);  IRLR 471 (CA)
- Stanley v Phillips  BPIR 632
- Governing Body of St Edmunds of Canterbury School v Hines  UK EAT 1138 022600
- Dearling v Foregate Developments Limited  All ER (D) 93
- Williams v YKK (UK) Limited  UK EAT 0408 01 2211
- Sefton MBC v United Utilities Water Plc  Env. LR 7
- Home Shopping Network v Nixon  All ER (D) 172
- Chong v Marek & Co  All ER (D) 179
- Jack Lumb v United Utilities Water Plc  Lands Tribunal
- Home Shopping Network (UK) Limited v Dixon and McElroy  EAT
- Environment Agency v Campbell  Env. L.R. D4
- Lunt v Merseytec Limited  ICR 17
- Home Shopping Network (UK) Limited v Aruvee  UK EAT 25798 0107
- Environment Agency v Brock Plc  Env. L.R. 607
- Mostyn House School v Stovel  UK EAT 854 97 2002
- Littlewoods Organisation v Oliver  UK EAT 965 97 0410
- Cowell v Penny Lane Wine Bar  UK EAT
- Jones v Roberts  2 FLR 422
- Clews and Others v Liverpool City Council  UK EAT
- Jeeto v Liverpool Health Authority  UK EAT
- Littlewoods Organisation v Traynor  IRLR 154
- Littlewoods v Hill  UK EAt
- Durham County Council v Logan Salton  IRLR 99