Karl Berry is a skilled trial advocate, whose practice encompasses all aspects of family, civil and criminal law. Prior to completing pupillage, he was an Associate practicing civil and commercial law at a prestigious firm of advocates based in Douglas, Isle of Man.
Instructing solicitors value Karl's sympathetic, approachable yet reassuringly straightforward manner in conference, his robust advocacy in Court, an ability to guide clients simply through complex issues, and his immediate, detailed feedback from hearings and conference. Paperwork is invariably returned within 14 days, with short deadlines accommodated on request. Karl is always happy to discuss matters on the telephone, or by email.
Civil & Commercial Law:
Karl advises & represents both Claimants and Defendants in trials & interim hearings across all tracks, and appears in the County Court on a wide range of matters. In appropriate cases, he accepts instructions on a Conditional Fee basis, and is happy to provide representation in mediation, or other ADR situations. Karl has particular experience with:
- road traffic claims (including credit hire, fraudulent or exaggerated claims, low velocity impact, and associated RTA matters such as insurance coverage issues & MIB claims);
- public liability;
- occupiers’ liability;
- employers’ liability;
- professional negligence (including clinical, veterinary, cosmetic treatment, and legal);
- landlord & tenant;
- sale and supply of goods & services;
Given his background as an experienced & successful criminal trial advocate, and with his extensive knowledge of the relevant law & procedure, Karl has particular expertise and experience in areas of law encompassing both the civil and criminal jurisdictions. These include:
- actions against the police;
- human rights & civil liberties (including false imprisonment, malicious prosecution, misfeasance in public office, and trespass to the person);
- quasi-criminal matters (such as anti-social behaviour and fixed penalties);
- regulatory crime (such as health & safety at work, trading standards, environmental health and food hygiene);
- Licensing (including alcohol & entertainment, taxi & private hire, HGV & PCV, and firearms);
As a result of his similarly extensive experience in the Family Courts, Karl is also willing to accept instructions in relation to actions against Local Authorities, Social Services departments and suchlike. Furthermore, he is keen to develop a commercial practice specialising in contractual disputes, debt recovery, repossession and insolvency matters. Karl is able to advise and provide contentious or non-contentious drafting in all areas of civil litigation, with all paperwork returned within 14 days (shorter periods may be accommodated upon request).
Karl regularly appears in the County Court and Family Proceedings Court, and has extensive experience representing parents, wider family members, Guardians, and Local Authorities in all types of public law and private law cases at all levels. His background and experience in the criminal courts has proven to be an asset particularly when instructed in contested matters and when conducting finding of fact hearings in public, private or injunctive proceedings. Karl has particular expertise in the following areas:
- residence & contact disputes, including complex and intractable matters, those involving the Local Authority or which may develop into care proceedings, and those with a cross-border or extra-jurisdictional element, such as child abduction & leave to remove;
- child care, welfare & adoption matters, including non-accidental injury, neglect, addiction, mental health, sexual abuse and domestic violence;
- findings of fact, including representation of alleged perpetrators;
- non-molestation & occupation orders, specific issue & prohibited steps orders;
- committals & enforcement;
Karl also accepts private and publicly-funded instructions in relation to co-habitee disputes, divorce & ancillary relief matters, and has a great deal of experience representing and advising in cases with difficult issues such as:
- agreements (including historical & pre/post marital);
- forensic analysis of complex personal accounting or business assets;
- high-value cases, and also those involving extremely limited means;
- transfer or disposal of assets to defeat or frustrate claims;
- enforcement of orders;
- foreign assets or other extra-jurisdictional issues.
Karl has a reputation for thorough preparation & robust advocacy in the criminal courts. He has extensive experience of criminal defence work in the Crown Court, Magistrates/Youth Court, and the Court of Appeal across the full gamut of offence areas, including the most serious crimes. Karl also regularly undertakes hearings, drafting, & provides advice to a number of criminal justice agencies, and has previously been instructed by the CPS, the Probation Service, G4S Justice Services, the Environment Agency, and HM Borders Agency. He has particular interest in, and specialist knowledge of, cases involving white collar crime, motoring law, POCA applications, and computer/internet related crime (as well as cases involving technical computer or mobile telephone evidence). In addition to his conventional criminal practice, Karl also accepts instructions in quasi-criminal cases, those involving regulatory crimes, and actions against the Police.
Karl regularly participates in Oriel Chambers' extensive seminar
programme, and has also personally provided seminar & small-group
workshop training to individual solicitors and firms. He is available to
provide entertaining yet informative bespoke seminars and in-house
training for solicitors, businesses and organisations across all his
practice areas. Where appropriate, such training may be accredited for